View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #68
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
800 Mile Review

- Engine. Smooth, torquey, efficient. A little slow and clattery sub-10mph and haven't really gone beyond 85-90. Generally likes to cruise around 70 to 75. 28-29mpg's on the highway. Pump calculated 25.6mpg on a combined mostly highway tank with 550mi range.

- Transmission. The 8-speed ZF is fantastic for an auto-box. I like how it downshifts matching revs into red lights. Other than at launches, it doesn't churn/hum much, seems to lock up to gear quickly. This is my third automatic car ever, after the 1986 Mercury POS and my failed 2011 x5d experiment. I use both D & S modes (S helps briskness just a bit and also lowers the car, the two are tied to each other). I haven't used the paddles.

- Air suspension. It's not sporty, but it rides decently and I can feel it adjusts for the load.

So while the JGC is an exceedingly common car, at least the Overland Ecodiesel specification is rather rare.

Sounds great. Can't beat that mpg average in a vehicle that likley weighs close to 5k pounds.

I believe the x5 would've had the same ZF 8 speed, but BMW programs it a bit differently. What do you think of the Jeep version in comparison?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote