View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Re: boosters. Some work better than others. The wider the base, the bigger the problem, but I found a Recaro that was fine, and the cheapy Cosco from Target actually works well, too.

The booster/seatbelt thing is an annoyance, but it's also a problem on a lot of other cars I've driven--most Fords have absolutely dumb belt positioning. Why is this hard to crack? I really don't know. The VW Golf has basically perfect belt positioning. People should just copy that.

I prefer the Model 3 to the Model S for a bunch of reasons--it's faster, it's more fun, and it's easier to park. On the other hand, if I still had a stroller I don't think the 3 would be big enough as a single traveling car.

I can't tolerate the BMW 4 cylinder and would never buy a car with one. I feel the same way about the BMW automatic, though maybe they've finally figured out shift programming?
Good to know- i haven't bought a booster yet so will check out the Recaro (at the very least it will ensure a greater chance of fitting any rental cars we might have while travelling).

I have no complaints with my x3 35i transmission programming - but I know what you mean based on my previous 528i. Very occasionally, if I'm in "DS" mode and accelerate hard from a stop and then lift off I can get a rough feeling shift. I haven't driven the loaner x3 enough to know how the shift programming is but didn't notice any immediate annoyances. I do think Audi generally does a better job of programming their regular automatic and DCT transmissions. BMW does a much better job with their paddles (Audis feel like cheap plastic) and I find the e-shifter less finicky. And atleast with the new X3, they've finally caught up to (and possibly surpassed) Audi when it comes to interior quality. Regardless, I hope to avoid a 4 cyl regardless of which car I end up with next. Just haven't really enjoyed them in any car I've tried them in- and having a BMW inline 6 again makes me further appreciate not having a 4.

As for the Model 3, yeah, I don't think it's big enough and my wife really wants something with a hatchback (plus she's also an XM fan) . Also, the mandatory vegan leather is a deal breaker for me. The front seats felt like they might be slightly more comfortable than the S. The exterior door handles also seem like they'd become a PITA while trying to wrangle a toddler. Door pockets are nice though. While I was in the Tesla store, a woman who was trying out the backseat in a 3 panicked cause she couldn't figure out how to open the door (She started banging on the window to be let out). I actually kind of like the button-based door release although I could see it getting annoying to always have to remind front seat passengers not to pull the emergency release handle (which pretty much everyone did while i was in the showroom). They probably should've located the lever on the floor a la Corvette.

Last edited by robg; 02-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote