View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:11 AM   #6
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
I think the E46 has THAT timeless look about it, and is part of the reason why I could never get tired of looking at it.
The later BMW wagons started getting the roof angled down toward the rear. Aside from looking funny, it really reduces the loading capability.

If I wanted a SUV or a hatchback, I would have bought one.

BMW always said that wagons sold poorly in the US. Aside from only offering the 2.5L E46, they never really marketed them. Almost every time I went to a dealer for service, potential customers were always going "Wow! They make this in a wagon?". After I bought mine, the dealership I ordered it from ended up with a couple dozen wagon sales, without any real support from BMWNA, just based on people seeing mine.

Another time I was on NJ 23 at a traffic light, when someone on a test drive from Paul Miller BMW was next to me in an X5. I cycled my side view mirrors (a Euro-only option) and he rolled down his window and said "Did your car just wave at me?" I told him yes, and it had more cargo space than the X5 he was test driving. Hopefully he brought the X5 back and ordered a wagon instead.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote