View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I have an old school Craftsman one I actually bought at Sears in probably 2005. Always worked easily for me, but I have no idea how close or not to being properly calibrated it is at this point. Don't even know if you can buy it anymore.

Happy to be of help!
I lost count of how many Craftsman 1/2" clicker torque wrenches I've gone through since 2003. Was able to exchange a few at Sears despite several of them busting past their warranty expiration (depending on the clerk knowing that torque wrenches were only warrantied for 12 months and with a receipt), but not all.

The last one went 7 or 8 years before giving up two years ago.

I bought a Tekton to replace. Was $58 on Amazon at the time. $60 right now. It may be a good option for you.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24340-...dp/B00C5ZL1NS/

I have two complaints that not everyone would find to be a problem. First is completely addressable...I just haven't and I'm not sure why. There is a screw to "lock" the adjuster at a setting. In the mad rush to change between dry/rain tires between runs or before the rain hits (and hopefully avoid getting soaked) or to swap between race and road tires to get on the road after an event, the lock is sometimes overlooked or not fully completed. If it's not fully locked, the adjuster can slip. The screw has a hole through it, and when I'm taking my time, I stick something through it to actually lock it. In a rush, it's just finger tight and that's not really tight enough every time. There's a hole in the screw and I keep intending to put a key chain ring or similar through it, but just haven't gotten around to it. (Which is ridiculous.)

The other issue I have is that the marking are small, thin, and at angles that make it tough to read if reading glasses are a thing in your life. Without glasses on, I really have to slow down and focus to get it right (which I think also adds to rushing on locking it place).

If/when this goes, the Precision linked earlier is the one I'm buying.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote