View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Returning eGolf/winter tires for Miata

The eGolf goes back in January. More and more, my wife and I are rejecting the idea of keeping it as a 4th car. Insurance is still ~$1k, and at $13k buy-out, it's not THAT cheap. More importantly, it's kinda silly for us to have 4 cars - especially one that is still depreciating, not entirely reliable (modern VW) and a 1st year car with a bunch of new electric technology.

As a result, the plan, which I may have articulated here before, is to equip the Miata with winter tires to handle crappy winter commute days (not days with a lot of snow, just slushy, wet, gross days). The M3 would still be used in winter, but ideally only on dry, cold days to spare it from excessive sand/salt. Of course, the LR4 would always be available as the other winter car.

I'm annoyed that I cannot find a set of used winter and/or tires for the Miata, so now I am forced to drop nearly $1k on wheels and tires.

I see no reason to not step down a wheel size to 16", but I am curious as to what you guys think for the tires. Stock tires size is 205/45 R17.

I'm inclined to go with Blizzak WS80's in 195/55 R16. They are a bit narrower with really aggressive snow traction.

Other options are Michelin X-Ice XI3 in 205/50 R16.

Outside of Tire Rack, I can also get Hakka R3's in 195/55 R16, but don't know how much they are.

Thoughts about any of the above?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote