View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, the biggest thing to me was the size, chassis rigidity, and just general quietness. I would say refinement, but would not be the right word because I feel like it implies softness and that wasn't the case at all. It could well be the fact that the car was much newer than my NC, but still, it just felt more upscale, cleaner, tighter, etc. Sounded good too. It was at least as fast, though I didn't push it. Steering felt better, suspension was good though being stock it did have more lean than my NC with aftermarket sways.

I guess for me the point was that, unlike many current instances with other models, the ND is equal or better than the NC in every way. In my case, the NC was not a mint, low-mileage sample. Not upgrading is simply a matter of $. All I have to decide is if I want a pristine/new ND or add a bunch more $$$ and consider Boxsters instead. I'm perfectly happy waiting until next year to decide. I also want to know what shakes out with the next gen Boxster first.
Ironically, the NC was the car that got me a speeding ticket. Because i was accelerating away from the tollbooths (which don’t exist anymore) at 128/Weston onto the Pike headed into Cambridge. And there was a State Trooper right on the shoulder.

I was trying to wring the neck out of that engine because I was so frustrated with it. And voila. Ticket.

Would have kept the NC if I felt like it had an engine to better match the rest of the car. By and large, even though the 3.4 litre flat six is not torquey whatsoever, it still felt like a revelation at the time.

What the NC or ND has that the 987 lacks is this sense that if something goes wrong, it will be inexpensive and mostly…not much will go wrong. I never get that sense in any Porsche of the 996/997 era. They always feel like you’re one scored cylinder wall away from something expensive.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote