View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Time for Something Different!

After buying my FR-S new in 2012 and enjoying it for the first 7 years of ownership, I began having little things pop up with the engine (ignition coils, fuel mix/delivery issues, burned up direct injector, etc) for the past couple years. Toyota mandated a recall that I had a local dealer do two years ago. I rarely drove the car for the past two years until this autocross season started, but the engine fully let go in rural WV last month. I love this car, but I'm done with it. I put 3,200 miles on the car since Toyota had the (Subaru) engine apart and at the dealer for over a month. I had my worries and was going to trade it for a 2017+ model year, but I waited too long. I'll join the class action suit because dozens/hundred other owners have had catastrophic engine failure like me. Toyota/dealer claimed the engine failure was due to hydro lock from overfilling the oil by at least 2 quarts... not sure how they came up with that. So, my car is awaiting a used engine at a trusted independent shop, though I was very tempted to swap in a Honda K24 engine.

https://jalopnik.com/scion-fr-s-and-...ast-1833220101

I have a second kid on the way any day, so I decided to look for something more comfortable with a back seat that can still be fun-ish to drive for ~2 years. With prices where they are, i will wait a few months or so for the market to calm down. My list is below, but I'm leaning more toward "sporty" comfort (and wanting to try a BMW again) than autocross performance... am i missing any cars in the $20-25k range? I'm not big on VW products. I would probably do lowering springs and new rims/tires on the less sportier options below. I want a manual but am considering good automatics ( ugh).

BMW 128i/328i coupes
BMW 228/M235i/428/435 coupes
Kia Stinger
Hyundai Veloster/Elantra N
Honda Civic Si/Accord 2.0T
Acura ILX/TLX
Mazda3 Turbo
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote