View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I want a truck (I think?)

I keep wanting a truck. 3 times in the past 3 months I've wanted to have a truck to haul shit. Home ownership is a bitch.

The problem is I need to sell 1 or more cars to accomplish this.

Option 1: Sell E91 wagon. Own: E46, Cayman, Truck

The truck would need to be reasonable to drive any time it might snow. I kind of want a Colorado or Tacoma, but the 2017 Ridgeline is the most car-like and actually has the more reasonable AWD system for snowy roads. But they're all too expensive for me if I keep the Porsche.

My neighbor has a 2012 Tacoma with a manual transmission. It's a cute little truck that I could see owning, but the 4WD system is lame. It's basically 2wd: a locked center diff with open front and rear differentials. Good enough for snow? Maybe, but a step down from any modern AWD system, so I could see myself wanting to keep the wagon.

Option 2: Sell Cayman. Own: E46, E91 Wagon, Truck

I'm finding myself more and more thinking that sports cars are dumb. Where I live, anyway. The Cayman is awesome, but it's like driving an F1 car at 25 MPH. I keep feeling like I'm using 10% of the car's potential 95% of the time. I take joy in owning the right tool for the job, and the Cayman rarely feels like the right tool for my day to day activities. I don't get excited to drive it to work often, and when I do I end up driving way too fast.

In this scenario I'd be keeping the wagon so the truck's 4wd snow performance wouldn't be important. I could buy any old cheap truck for hauling shit. But with the truck always clogging up my driveway and rarely being driven, I'm pretty sure I'd be asking myself over and over, do I really need a truck AND a wagon???

Option 3. Sell Porsche AND wagon. Own: E46 + Truck

If I could find a truck that I was happy to drive in the winter, I could go down to 2 cars. This would make me very excited because I have a 2 car garage, and my driveway makes parking a 3rd car annoying. And for a winter vehicle, the Ridgeline is actually winning due to the reasons above.

But shit, I can't get excited about a Ridgeline. Should I go for a Raptor? So I can drive it around in 2-inches of snow and feel manly? or maybe a Colorado ZR2

Last edited by rumatt; 10-16-2017 at 12:44 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote