View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #804
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The fake leather doesn't bother me. It's as nice or nice (and breathes as well as) the real leather that was in my '14 Model S (though the later ones were nicer). It's a little weird feeling--not quite like neoprene but not quite like leather, either. But it doesn't feel like the tough-as-nails vinyl that BMW used/uses. The material on the steering wheel is particularly good--I wouldn't know that it's not leather unless you told me.

I'm slightly bugged by the fact that the roof doesn't open. It would be really, really nice if it did.

I don't really need a HUD, though the other thing I miss from my Model S is the secondary nav screen in front of the steering wheel.

Surround cameras are something that may well come in an OTA update. The hardware is there.

That’s good that you find it breathable. I once returned a rental Passat after 1 day because I couldn’t stand the leatherettte (and it was perforated for breathability). I don’t care as much about whether the feel and durability are better/worse than typical automotive leather. Hoping that they are able to solve whatever issue they had with Alcantara supply and use that for the seats and headliner (atleast in some versions).

Not sure if surround camera would be possible with the current camera setup since the front camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror and the side cams point rearward .

But yeah, for the most part I think the model 3 is still compelling. Unlike with bmw, however, I wouldn’t feel as compelled to get the top model because the lesser ones are still good. Witty bmw, you are essentially paying more money to “fix” the issues as you move up
-320-> 330 gives you acceptable performance
-330->340 gives you a refined engine
-340->m3 gives you decent steering and suspension.

And I’d much rather get a model 3 than a similarly priced car with a 4 cyl turbo.

Last edited by robg; 10-09-2018 at 11:46 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote