Thread: Access by BMW
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Its bonkers for me, but if you look at AF as an example (just because of his post w/ a6 lease details in the silver car thread). He likes to roll through new cars, has no issue with a $8xx/month lease on an a6 and enjoys trying a variety of car types. I would assume his insurance is something in the neighborhood of mine ~$100 month (USAA on the x5 w/ 2 teen drivers) so he's close to $1k / month for a car he's going to have for 2 years and turn in. Is it worth another $1k a month to have a concierge drop off the car of your choice whenever/wherever? Maybe (not for me). Would it save him from having to have an SUV (or similar truck style vehicle) for the few times he needs 7 seats? Maybe.

Regardless, the idea is interesting. It would be fun to have full access to an M2, a 540, an X5 a 440 'vert with no concern for ownership headaches. The same pricing applies to the Porsche Passport plan: The $2000 plan offers access to the 718 Cayman, the 718 Boxster, and the Macan (including S versions), as well as the base Cayenne. The $3000-per-month plan adds the 911 Carrera coupe and cabriolet (in base, S, and 4S trims), the Panamera (base, 4, S, 4S, and 4 E-Hybrid), the Macan GTS, and the Cayenne S, S E-Hybrid, and GTS, for a total of 22 models.

Looking at the Volvo one, it looks like an open ended (one year minimum) lease with insurance included, not a car swapping service. You pick your V60 or XC40 and keep it for at least a year.
I'm thinking that Porsche may very well be able to get away with charging those prices for its plans, but not sure that BMW (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to do it. I vaguely remember Cadillac also offering something similar- think it was $1500/month for Escalades/CTS-V/ etc.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote