View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
So I sourced a new (used) engine block with a stock bore and had Abacus Racing in Virginia Beach do all the checks, machinework and cleanup. They also file fit the piston rings for me and installed them on the pistons. So all I had to do was do a final soap-and-water cleanup, wipedown and re-assemble.

I decided to re-use the bearings, but checked all of their clearances, of course. I am re-using my old crank, rods, and pistons as well and transferring them to the new block. New stretch bolts are used everywhere.

Bearing clearances were right in the middle of the spec throughout the engine.

I took this opportunity to get a baffled oil pan. This engine tends to oil starve in sustained turns, like every other BMW. This should help.

Installed the stock oil pickup and scraper.

Got all the pistons pushed in and the rod caps torqued. Engine spins over nice and smooth.

Picked up an upgraded water pump. The BMW water pumps are pretty notorious failure points.

Cylinder head and cams re-installed. I had the cylinder head checked and then decked to the factory minimum. We had been told that this was done when the engine was rebuilt the first time, but it measured out as being a stock thickness head. Just another in a long line of disappointments with this car.

More assembly. You can see the intake port work done to accommodate the M50 manifold we run, with its larger runners.

I took this opportunity to make better brackets to adapt the E46 fuel rail to the E36 manifold. My buddy has a pretty small end mill that you have to go slowly with, but it can crank out little parts like this.

And finally back in the car. I replaced all the cooling hoses and power steering lines since those were all leaking badly before the swap. I hate fluid leaks. I probably shouldn't own a BMW.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote