View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
In the end, the special O2 tool was useless since it was vary tall, and way too loose. O took a dremel with the fiberglass reinforced cutter and cut everything above the hex (22mm). I then was able to fit a standard 6-point socket but I still could not get enough leverage with a standerd 1/2" ratchet. I went out and bought this.
The Sears link is a session that timed out.

Yup, exhaust stuff is generally the worst part to work on. The nature of the system means that the fittings are generally corroded and frozen.

The worst experience I had with an exhaust involved a pair of crowfoot wrenches in wobble sockets. I bet you can guess which car...

Quote:
Now, to be fair, the CEL did come up within a few months of ownership but then went away. Then again recently and it went away again. Several weeks ago it came on for good.
Got a code reader? If not, have your Autozone read it for free.

Quote:
Could it be that even though the sensor was well enough to make the OBD shut the light off it still wasn't working 100%? In other words, does a O2 sensor performacnce detriorate until it is so bad that the light goes on, or is it more of a yes/no fault where if it is not perfect the light gets triggered?
Depending on what goes wrong with the sensor, it can lead to a gradual deterioration of its ability to report accurate information to the engine management computer. The computer is supposed to set the CEL if it determines that the car is operating outside the allowable emission standards.

The computer also adapts over time, but within what it thinks are acceptable limits. This compensates for normal wear, individual manufacturing variations of the various components, and so on.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote