View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I'll look for a link to the audio later, but NPR just played their interview with the President of Toyota NA on the subject of their recall. Well, the final question asked what owners should do if their gas pedal sticks. His answer?

Depress the brake pedal with both feet as hard as you can and put the car into neutral.

I'm not making this up.

What would you advise?

I have seen a lot of experts talking about it and they are all on the same page about this one. At open throttle, the brakes can stop the car but you have to step on it pretty hard to bring your 50mph+ accelerating car to a stop. Even harder if your car takes off at 70mph or 80mph and climbing.

I think I get the point that you are trying to make that it is dangerous to just stomp on the brakes on the highway. Yes, probably a valid point that you take the risk of getting rear ended if you do this. But, if you don't apply enough force to the brakes you probably won't be able to slow down the run-away car and the average driver will end up much worse off with the resulting collision.