View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Test drove an R56 MCS

'07 MCS 6-speed with no sport package or LSD.

It's a little BMW, and feels like it. I was expecting horrific torque steer, but it was totally tolerable. It's there, but practically negligible. I bet with the LSD, sport suspension and some stickier tires (215/45/17 summers instead of 195/xx/16 all seasons?) it would have been mitigated even further.

Clutch was predictable, if a little numb. Shifter was typical BMW stock -- a tiny bit rubbery, with a slightly longer throw than I'd prefer, but a totally livable and satisfying rowing experience.

Steering was excellent, despite the electric boost... in sport mode. With the sport button off, it felt 10x more loosey-goosey... I can tell that button would always be pressed were I to own one.

Given that it's got just a little 1.6L blown 4-banger, it felt surprisingly peppy and torquey... minimal low-rev turbo lag, plenty of twist off the line and at low revs, without feeling like it runs out of steam too early in higher revs. Nice, smooth, consistent power... I like this engine a lot.

Overboost comes on at WOT for an extra kick in the pants... you can feel it, but it comes on smoothly. I was half-expecting a kickdown switch on the accelerator like a slushie E46, and a sudden torque-steery burst of go, but instead it was a gentle surge -- a composed effort of the engine to just do as directed. Very nice. Not gimmicky -- just useful.

I've never driven an R53, but I can't imagine the much praised s/c whine and exhaust burble from that Chrysler powerplant being more attractive than the ample torque and silky delivery this turbocharged BMW mill delivers. I don't understand the 1st generation purists on this issue.

The interior design, on the other hand, is extremely gimmicky. I imagine there are tons of ergonomic no-nos, though I can't detail any at present. I must admit I like the toggles, even though they don't really make sense... but they feel like quality switchgear. The climate controls are a little cheap feeling, but not horrible. Better than a Civic, not quite as nice as the E46.

The whole package is solid and tight feeling, though, like a teeny BMW should feel. It's really everything I like in a car, FWD excepted. But the test drive makes me think I could live with that, much to my surprise.

It really seems like the perfect car for fun street driving. I'm sure my RX-8 would be much more satisfying on the track, where its balance and handling elegance can shine. But I think the tight solidity, quicker steering, lightness, greater low end grunt, and overall German/BMW feel of the R56 probably give it an edge on the day-to-day street funometer. Not to even mention the fact that it drinks half as much.

I think I want one.