View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #149
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if air springs improve the comfort/handling trade-off. PASM does that over passive suspensions. For me, the steel was good enough and certainly had more a of a "connected" feel as I test drove the air before purchasing. And then you use up the comfort/handling gains on 21" wheels... My macanurbo was on the base 19's, which did not hurt grip but helped comfort.

On my JGC, the option air suspension (which I covered with a mopar warranty extension) brought height adjustability, though generally that makes the tallest setting stiffest.

Yeah our current RRS has air suspension as well - in a tall heavy SUV I suspect it helps improve ride/handling trade off (it seems to handle corners much better than you’d expect while still offering good ride quality). That could just be down to other aspects of the suspension design though. The claimed advantage is simply the height adjustment for off roading.

On a low car like a taycan i suspect the main advantage is just height adjustability (efficiency for the highway and clearing obstacles at low speed).

I will say that the 4s I test drove (which did have air springs) had one of the best ride/handling balances I’ve experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote