View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #29
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I don't understand what it is. I turned off as many of the fancy feature as I could, like auto dimming, detecting whether you're looking at it, wifi, etc. Nothing helped except putting it in airplane mode.
If the V1 is reporting laser when it can't "see" the phone (put the phone inside a cardboard box and then throw a towel over it), that is either a design error and / or a software bug. The laser detection should be optical only (duh). With the metal case, the only way a radio signal should be able to get in* is via either the forward-facing or rear-facing microwave horn inside the case, and the frequencies of radar are way outside anything the phone should be emitting (radar starts at 8GHz and goes up from there, WiFi is 2.4 and 5 GHz, and LTE (cell service) tops out at 5.9GHz (and actual use of those higher LTE frequencies is pretty rare).

Unless your specific phone is operating vastly out-of-spec, it shouldn't be emitting anything the V1 should detect as radar.

* If you have any V1 add-on gizmos, it is possible that they could be conveying unwanted RF into the V1. Ditto for the stock power cord. If you want, I can send you a clip-on ferrite choke to put over the power / accessory cord to see if that helps.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote