View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
BRZ / FR-S
Very intrigued by these cars as they are right up my alley. Enough power to have fun. Good suspension / chassis design. And they look really good, too. Oh, and RWD. The back seat . . . would be handy at times. Yet when I sat in one at the dealership (as we were Forester shopping) my reaction to being inside one was "meh." Actually, the more I see the interior, the more it looks shitty. Not saying that the Miata is all that special but it seems much nicer to me (hard plastics and all) than the BRZ / FR-S. And acceleration wise . . . it's effectively the same as the Miata.

WRX
Interested in this as it's close to an STi power wise but much cheaper, has AWD, available with a stick, in a 5-door hatch back form factor which I dig for the practicality, and looks kind of cool with sub-6 second acceleration 0-60. After getting our Forester and seeing what that's like it's gotten me more interested in Subaru as a brand. But, damn, the car seems huge (after coming from a Miata). not sure I could get used to that even though everything is relative.

Focus ST
I'm really liking this a lot. I think it's one of the best looking hatches on the market right now. The styling looks fantastic. And it's great to see Ford making something very competitive in this segment. But it's FWD which I've never liked. I'd prefer RWD, AWD, or 4WD depending on application. Maybe the FWD characteristics in the FoST aren't noticeable . . . Anyways, the drivetrain layout is a main thing that tamps down my interest in this car.

Fiesta ST
Lighter hatch back with a turbo engine? Sweet. This sounds like the beesknees right now but I don't like the styling nearly as much as the Focus. If I was getting a Ford hot hatch it'd be the FoST, probably.
Um, the FoST never lets you forget it's FWD. That said, you can drive in anger like no other FWD out there (except maybe the FiST which sounds like it's similar, but I haven't driven one).

I never thought of the WRX as fun in any way...just fast and cheap. STi faster and reasonable, but not cheap.

The Toybaru is something that really interests me and strikes me on paper as what I'd imagine a closed late gen Miata would be....lots of fun and quick enough, but not enough power to be really fun and fast. Very similar to the RX-8. Like the RX-8 needed RX-7like turbo power, the Toybaru needs STi-like turbo power, too, to really scratch the itch.

But after a year and a couple weeks and not quite 12k miles, the FoST is still really good cheap fucking fun.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote