View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
ZSP vs ZHP: Doesn't matter much. The differences are subtle. I'd get whichever one was in better condition and had the options I wanted. If the ZSP ride is too soft, you can get some combination of aftermarket shocks, springs, and sway bars. If you plan to autox seriously, the ZHP is currently the car to have. But the difference is subtle, so if you're just learning or not doing it seriously (ie, national level) it's irrelevant.

In terms of long-term ownership, search for a list of "E46 issues" or something like that. Window regulators, etc. Maybe search over at bimmerfest as well.

I think most people who say, "Owning a 10 year old BMW is no big deal" are the people who enjoy fixing cars. Changing suspensions, bushings, fuel filters, steering systems, water pumps, radiators, etc. I had an 16 year old E30 for 9 months and it was a blast. I learned SO much. But I was also in the garage every weekend for hours, and my wife called the car an expensive piece of junk. It's all about your perspective.

I have no idea how long I'll end up keeping my E46, but it's possible I'll keep it a long time (10+ years). However, I'm prepared to deal with a lot of crap and do as much DIY as necessary. I wouldn't recommend this car for someone who freaks out if a repair is needed (my wife is in this category) These people should lease Toyotas.

So far, my car has stranded me 4 times in 2.5 years of ownership. Once for a battery drain software recal, once for bad ignition coils, and twice due to an short in the engine bay where a wire was getting pinched under the washer fluid container. They finally found the bare wire and fixed it right, but my car was at the dealer for 13 days straight while trying to find the short. The idea of something like this happening out of warranty does scare me a bit, but it could happen with any car I suppose.

Silly stuff like brakes, shocks, etc, are going to be a good bit more expensive than for a miata. I think the dealership charges something crazy for a set of brakes and rotors (like $1000 or so), so you'll probably want to do them yourself. The stock rotors are soft so you may need to change them every time.

Howeve,r I still like the car. I drive it daily, do a lot of autox, and will be doing track days this year. It's great car.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote