View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind if I seek your input on some BMW related stuff. I have a few questions but figured I'd ask them one at a time so we could focus (I've seen how these threads can go. )

First question involves the long-term ownership of BMWs: Would it be best to get a 330i w/ Sport Package or a 330 ZHP if the car is to be kept until it's 10+ years old?

As a follow up to some a similar topic a few months ago, my fiance and I are looking to consolidate down to a single daily driver. (Yes, still haven't gotten it yet, we're waiting until after we're married and back from the honeymoon and thats 5 weeks away). I've narrowed it down to a BMW 330i ZSP but the ZHP has really caught my attention. However, due to price considerations we'd have to look at 2002 or 2003 model years so the cars would be 3-4 years old to start with.

The long-term owner ship comes into hanging onto the car for probably close to 8 years (making for an 11-12 year old BMW). I figure it'll be 3-4 years before we have a kid when she'd need more of a mommymobile (getting a 2nd car) and I'd just keep driving the BMW for 3-4 years beyond that.

So, with the idea that higher performance cars require more maintenance and / or the more specialized the more expensive the up keep, is the ZHP tuned high enough to warrant second thoughts for keeping the car around until it's 10+ years old? Would it be better to go with a "less stressed" 330i w/ the sport package? Or is the degree of tuning on the ZHP not a significant wear consideration?

How many people keep BMWs that long? Do they break down significantly more than other cars at those ages?

Thanks guys. It's always great to read throug the threads on this forum.
Maintenance/wear on the ZHP will be the same as the ZSP--the differences are primarily in the suspension. In fact, the only real difference in terms of maintenance between an M3 and a 330 is the valve adjustments (and the exploding engine), but other than mildly hotter cams the M54 engine in the ZHP is identical to that in the ZSP.

I would get (and did get) the ZHP, just because a) I think the suspension tweaks are worth it alone; b) I like the cloth interior; and c) I like the wheels and aerokit. Either car will likely need a fresh set of shocks no later than 40K miles, so that reduces some of the utility of getting the ZHP in the first instance, but you still get the rest of the package.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote