Thread: E39 Longevity
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
E39 Longevity

My '03 530i now has a little over 35k miles, and things have started needing replacement. I had to take it in last week for a couple things (I had some odd stalling issues, after which the Service Engine Soon light came on), and the stearing was groaning during right turns on cold mornings (below 50 degrees -- and yes that's cold to me).

Fortuneately its all warranty work, and the car's OEM warranty has 15k miles and 15 months left, then the CPO warranty will kick in for another 2 years or total 100k miles.

Here's what's been done so far in my 9.5 months of ownership:
1) The stearing groan was due to a steering rack leak -- so they replaced the steering rack.
2) The stall and SES light issue was due to the intake camshaft sensor failing. Probably also explains the lousy gas mileage I got over the last tank or so of gas (4 MPG below normal)
3) A/C system was completly replaced in August -- the original system had corroded over the first 30k miles.

But its got me thinking that there's no way I'll keep it more than another 2 years or so. And if these relatively large replacement items continue, it may go before then...