Thread: Miata shocks
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Miata shocks

Recently I've been spending too much time on the Miata forum as I've been doing a bunch of work on it.

Well, it would seem by reading information there that at 95k miles either my shocks are dead and I don't know it, or they are likely to die at any moment.

All indications are that they are OEM. The only mod I am aware of is the front sway. I assume an alignment was done, but was it tweaked to an AutoX-friendly alignment?

I'm generally pretty happy with the Miata suspension but I could easily be convinced that it can be improved both in performance and ride quality. But somehow, general consensus is that the stock suspension (even the sports one I have) is crap and people itch for an excuse to upgrade. They say the stock springs are noodles.

Short term, I plan on driving it as-is. But should I really consider a preemptive suspension job next year? I hate dealing with suspension decisions because so much of it is subjective. Problem is that I can't tell if my stock suspension is even behaving like a stock suspension anymore given the mileage.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote