View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
JST

Drove some Mazdas and Audis this weekend

We tried a Mazda 6, a Mazda 3, an Audi A4 3.0Q and an A4 1.8Q.

Mazda 6:

This is a nice sedan. As with many of its competitors, the quality of interior materials is variable--in some places it feels expensive, in others quite cheap. On the road, the handling is tight, the steering feel good, and the engine smooth. Like all Duratec derivatives I've driven, the engine is happiest at higher RPM, and there isn't an overabundance of low-end torque. Shift feel is nice, and pedal placement is excellent. If I had to buy a car in this segment, this is probably the one that I'd get, but it doesn't really do anything for me.

Mazda 3:

This is the new class leader of this segment, without question. The engine isn't as strong as the Golf/Jetta 1.8T, and the interior isn't *quite* as nice, but in every other way it puts its competitors on the trailer. Steering feel is superb, and the handling is flat and composed. The car feels both flickable and competent. Power is decent, and there is a lot of room inside. It isn't quite as lively as the last Protege, but it feels a lot less like a rental car, so the tradeoff is acceptable.

If the S40 retains this steering and handling ability, while adding AWD and a 218 hp engine, it will be one hot car.

Audi A4 3.0:

I liked this car a lot more than I thought I would. On paper, the heavy weight and nose-heavy distribution imply a car with little grace, but around town the A4 is impressive. The V6 has nice punch--not as much as a 330, but perfectly acceptable. And it sounds cool, too. The car I drove had the "Ultra Sport" suspension. Handling was good at 6 or 7/10s, and the ride was taut but composed (less stiff-legged than the M3). Audi still does interiors better than anyone, with the exception of their stupid cupholder design and the bright silver trim that reflects bright sunlight into your eyes.

Shifting is good, but the pattern is wider than you expect. The steering is light, not tremendously communicative, but at least it is accurate.

A4 1.8Q:

"It's not as slow as I thought it would be" sounds like faint praise, but in truth, the character of the 1.8T engine is fairly well suited to this car. The engine builds boost quickly, which gives you decent torque off the line, but there is enough of a brief lag to give you a bit of a rush when the turbo kicks in. Driven at 80 percent of throttle, the car feels fine. It's only when you ask for more that you are disappointed, because there just isn't a whole lot of power up top.

It might be my imagination, but the seats in this SP car did not feel as nice as those in the USP 3.0. Otherwise, the interiors were about the same.

Bottom line on the Audis:

I'd get either one of these before I got the corresponding 3xi, but that's only because I don't want a third E46. In truth, the xis are probably better driver's cars, but for a sedan with a bit of sport thrown in and AWD, the Audis make a good case for themselves.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote