View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #68
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Crazy thought: What about a CPO Giulia QV?

I really wanted one of those when I bought the M3 but didn't go that route because:

- It was too new and AR had just come back to the US
- No stick
- Pricey compared to a ED-discounted M3
- No ED
- I had always wanted an M3

Addressing those points:

- The Giulia QV seems to be surprisingly reliable (seems not worse than BMW)
- No stick is no longer a problem, since all options I'm considering are automatic
- Not considering one new, but the M3 has climbed much more in price by comparison anyway
- I already did ED on an M3

As a plus, the ride seems to be MUCH better than on the M3 (especially ZCP), it seems to have great steering, and be a lot more fun to drive and certainly more unique and special than anything else I am considering (M550i, M430i, 540i).

The drawbacks are that it is not as roomy or nice inside as a 5er or even 3er. It also has fairly crummy fuel economy, same as the V8 M550i.

I'd be looking at a >MY2020, since it got interior updates and they resolved the battery drainage issue.

It's a more peaky engine that loves to rev to redline, so it won't have the loads of torque down low that a M550i has, but it seems much more exciting. It seems their brakes are touchy at low speeds but cannot tell if that is only the case with CCBs. Ultimately, an M550i would make for a more relaxed commuter I'm sure. But the QV seems like a more interesting car to own and drive. It would likely be cheaper too.

I'm not necessarily planning on owning a QV or M550i for a long time unless I fall in love and the car ends up being the last a given type of car and replacements all suck. In all likelihood it would be updated with an EV a few years down the road.

Last edited by FC; 07-12-2023 at 01:04 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote