View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #1367
ff

Thank you for the detailed follow-up. Yours is a good example of just how disruptive and expensive auto accidents can be. Sorry you had to endure that.

That's cool that you were able to recover money for DV. Depending upon the circumstances of the crash (% fault, etc), I can see where it'd be easy for the insurance company to push back. But when the other person's insurance accepts fully responsibility, seems like it should be no more complicated than agreeing on a $ number. But it's unknown territory to me.

Reason I asked is because I was rear-ended fairly hard at an intersection a week ago, Wednesday, on my way to a lacrosse game in Bradenton. The other driver immediately took responsibility, registered a claim with her insurance, and I had a phone call and email from them before I even got home. They're accepting 100% liability, and haven't given me an ounce of trouble so far. So that's good.

The body shop I'll be taking it to started to do an estimate on Monday, and stopped as soon as they pulled a few trim pieces in the trunk, and then saw the rear quarter panels pushed up far enough to eliminate the gaps in the rear doors. From the outside, it doesn't look all that bad, but underneath you see where the car did exactly what it was designed to do, which is to absorb the impact. He said that "you can't pull this back into shape and have the structure maintain its previous strength". Which is sort of what I wanted to hear. My hope is that the car gets totaled so that I can quickly move on from this. But if it's not, I'll definitely be looking for a DV settlement. We'll see how it plays out.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote