View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ages well?
That could happen to some of the really old films (the early stuff from the 2004-2007 timeframe). I have to imagine some of the cheap films on the market could do that as well, particularly if the car is left outside. It really doesn't make sense to go cheap on the film, though, because the majority of the cost is in the installation.

I put one of the self-healing films on my Boxster (did it myself) right when I got it, and it still looked really good when I sold the car. I didn't do anything special in terms of maintenance, other than storing the car in a garage. I certainly wasn't buying hundreds of dollars of cleaners and sealers for it. Some of the edges of the film around tight corners lifted up, and I blame that on myself as a worse-than-amateur installer. It's not a big deal, you just take an X-acto blade and trim away the film that lifted up. Washing / waxing / sealing the film like you would the paint seems to work well.

I really hate touching up stone chips and leveling them properly, so film is a much better answer for me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote