View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
I haven't driven the Volvo C30 but I've sat in one at the dealership and crawled around and in and out of the car. It's pretty cool. The dash layout is pretty much the same as our V50. That is to say, spartan. But I really like that, especially in an era of ever more prodigious numbers of buttons. I think I like it better than the E46. Certainly the controls (mostly knobs) are easier to work than the tiny and confusing buttons on the 330i. The only drawback I can see is the bland instrument cluster. It's functional and I can't really knock it there, but where the center stack has a cool designed spartan look to it, the instrument cluster just looks a bit blah.

This review covers the car pretty well from what I observed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthaboutcars.com
Unlike main competitor MINI’s ADD-inducing asylum, the C30’s interior is covered in an almost stark layer of Scando-simplicity. But it’s a ruse. At first the controls seem only calming and Ikea-fied. In fact, they’re brilliantly thought-out. Take the HVAC/Audio display. It uses a single digital graph to illustrate temp, fan speed and volume levels. While this might seem too-basic, it’s a warm bath compared to the maddening complexity of Audi’s MMI screens. I love the floating waterfall center console. And the handy storage bin behind it. Every surface, texture and design element has a rare “that’s how I would have done it” quality.

It probably doesn't have the most space efficient back seat / fold down cargo area due to the pronounced rear fenders and tucked in greenhouse but I like how it's laid out and would compromise some functionality for the sexy styling of the car. Sitting in the back is actually a cool experience for passengers.

If it rides anything like our V50 it'll have a firm but not punishing ride. . . typical European car like. FWIW, I found our V50 to be more fun to drive than a Mazda6 wagon we also test drove. A more fun ride/handling and peppier 4 cyl. engine vs. the Mazda6's V6. But I digress.

You can get the C30 with the T5 engine (2.5L, 5 cyl turbocharged), I believe, which bumps power out put to 227 hp and 236 lb-ft. Should be good for the mid-6 second range in acceleration to 60 which is comparable to the VW GTI and MINI S.

It's said the handling isn't quite as sharp or crisp as a MINI but that it's very good.

The one thing that I didn't like was the brake/throttle pedal arrangement. It's really messed up for any decent heel/toe downshifting. I'm not sure it would be a deal killer for me but I'd also see if I couldn't re-position the throttle pedal some how. I talked to the dealers (they were asking what I thought of the car) and I mentioned the pedals weren't right. One guys asked what I was talking about where as his partner said "ah, yes, they're not set up for heel-toe shifting". Bingo, said I. Then we both had to explain it to the other fellow. Apparently Volvo put in a different throttle pedal for the U.S. market due to some focus group testing or whatever. So it sounds like maybe you can get a European pedal? But I haven't enquired about this.

Bottom line is I'd put it on your list and take it for a spin.

And just as an FYI, the C30's use the same chassis as the Mazda3.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote