Thread: VW's...
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #239
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
my only issue with my new GTI is the big design flaw in if you have the driver window down without any other windows it makes a horrible wind buffeting noise.
We have it as well; need to crack 2 or even 3 windows to make it go away. One of the most buffeting cars ever, the mk7. Sunroof tilt even requires 2-3 windows cracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
This is not a VW / GTI feature.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
This is a nearly universal "all new cars" thing. It's a combination of how aerodynamically efficient, how well sealed, how tightly toleranced, and how well built they all are now even compared to 15 years ago. And also the shape and placement of your side mirrors.

Even with both windows down, there is significant buffeting in the Camaro at 50mph +...unless driver or passenger have an arm on the windowsill which breaks up the airflow enough to disrupt the standing wave of air.

Having ping-ponged back between vw/audis and bmw/porsche (as well as drives/rentals in other cars) over the last two decades, I don't completely agree. It hit different carmakers at different times and VW/Audi have been the worst overall in this (perhaps they seal better? or better aero when shut?).

I was astounded with my 2000 a4, my first nice car. I hadn't heard of buffeting until then. It was so bad, it was described in the owner's manual with mitigation strategies. Worst speed was 35-40mph in that car. I was pleasantly surprised in 2004 when I switched to an e46 bmw and to a much larger degree could leave windows open at higher speeds. This continued with the 987 cayman. Back to buffeting with the b6 s4, not as bad as the b5, but very strong. The b8 a4 & s4 were a bit better. The mk7 gti is nearly as bad as the b5 a4.

In the meantime bmw started emulating VAG, I think the e90 has it worse than the e46 and the f30 is even worse.

Still, no comparison. BMW & Porsche buffet much less than VW/Audi over several models. Their wipers also work better than VAG.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote