View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #66
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Sorry you aren’t having the best experience.

When using the in-car trip planner, I usually charge until I have a 20% buffer for the next leg — which is an extra ~40 rated miles above what the car thinks is needed to go. If I had a bigger battery, I’d use 15% instead.

But I highly recommend using evtripplanner.com for planning and rated mile estimates. I typically set it to a speed multiplie of 1.1 (ie 10% above the google-reported average traffic speed.) I then typically drive about 5 over the posted limit. I usually arrive at the next stop sighing 2-3 rated miles of the evtripplanner estimate.

Couple of things that you may not be aware of:
- sounds like you have the car set to display rated miles. That assumes you will get the EPA mileage, and does not take your driving style into account. Highway driving will always result in using more rated miles than actual — since the EPA cycle is a mix of highway and city, and the Tesla is more efficient below about 60.

- Supercharger throttling is a curve based on battery charge. You only get the fastest charge when the pack is low, and the charge rate will slow down noticibly when the battery is above 60% or so, and the last 10% isn’t much faster than charging at home. It does not throttle you just because you “have enough” per the on-board planner to get to the next stop.

- the fastest time to your destination may actually mean more Supercharger stops instead of skipping some. You should target arriving at a Supercharger with low battery (under 20%) and charging to roughly 30-40 rated miles past what you need to get to the next stop. Keeping the supercharges when your battery is lower will keep the stops shorter.

- wind can impact your energy use. Headwinds are like driving faster and tailwinds give extra range (google “Tesla winds and elevation” from the car’s browser and bookmark a handy tool to see the impact...).

Safe travels...