View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #66
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
So, Matt, somehow, I'm not sure how, tapatalk is throwing your questions on Canyon/Colorada forums on my feed. Forums I've never been to. "It knows". I don't remember subscribing to you, but some connection must have happened.
That's bizarre. Tapa-stalk?

Quote:
My one comment (without reading through the lengthy awd, seat and suspension) comparisons would be to watch out for AWD (i.e. engaged transfer case) vs. On-demand-sorta-AWD (i.e. engages after detecting slip). Methinks you would not like the latter. I actually think it's a bigger deal than rear diff, e.g. I went through the Tacoma and 4-Runner configurations quite a bit. Based on what I read, I don't think 4wd + rear diff will be as good as awd + open diff on snowy roads at any kind of speed. And once that awd has a axle to axle locking option, the lower speed advantage is largely taken care of.
Colorado/Canyon's have 4-High (Locked transfer case) and 4-Auto (AWD-ish thingy). My understanding of 4-Auto is that the transfer case locks the front and rear, but the front axles have some kind of clutch so only 5% of the torque is going to the front until the rears slip. I also read (but didn't verify) that it's the same transfer case that's in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

But yeah, I'm not sure how well it will work in slick conditions. In my test drives accelerating on dirt, etc, it was pretty decent. I fully expect the truck to be sketchy in winter, particularly since I'd get an extended cab which has the least weight over the wheels. But I know I won't get stuck... and driving sideways is fun right?

Last edited by rumatt; 03-27-2018 at 07:46 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote