View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #29
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Inspired by seeing a GS350 parked on the street this morning. I used to find the current gen completely fugly. But, maybe due to some of similarities between it and the latest 3 series (which i've now grown used to due to the sheer volume), I thought "hmm not too bad". It was a white F-sport version with grey wheels.

As a thought experiment, it got me thinking about what car I could buy and keep for 10+ years without too much worry and at a reasonable cost. That's how my parents always did it, but whenever i've run the math on a car i'd want it doesn't look very favorable vs a lease. I also understand buying/holding a classic car (like an air cooled 911 or something), but for this i'm thinking more of an everyday/daily driver type car.

Anyway, the criteria would be:
-have to be something with some practicality
-have good durability reliability
-be decent to drive and look at.
-be comfortable and have some creature comforts
-Have an average monthly ownership cost (taking into account depreciation/maintenance/repairs/cost of money) of no more than $300/month.

I say that because above that amount I think it probably just makes sense to just do serial bmw leases or something. Despite having good resale value, a new GS350 probably wouldn't cut it. Let's say a 10 year old one is worth around 10k. With 40k in depreciation, you're already at 333/month before the other costs. So maybe the best/lowest miles used IS or GS you can find for high 20s? And right out of the gate, they annoy w/ horrid infotainment and no folding rear seats. Camry V6 then? Or slightly used GTI for low 20s? Would almost certainly incur higher maintenance/repair costs though but less so than other european cars due to sheer ubiquity. What's the sweet spot (if any)?
A top-of-the-line Honda Accord or Mazda6 would be my vote.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote