View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #84
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
One of my big concerns on this project was whether the Miata steering rack would fit. It does, but there is a fitting on the rack that interferes with the front pulley. It's one of the directional high-pressure lines from the spool valve. These are hard lines (basically brake lines but carrying PS fluid) that run from the spool valve to the rack. Pic below shows the fitting with the line removed. When the line is installed it sticks up about two inches, because you can't really make tight radius bends with brake lines.

Other than that, the rack fits perfectly and doesn't interfere at all. I think what I'll end up doing is converting that fitting to a banjo fitting with crush washers and then running a flexible, braided line to the spool valve. Sort of like this:

Anyway, when I had the rack out I noticed that the two bushings on the driver's side are super soft rubber. I hate compliance in steering and suspension when it comes to autocross cars, so I made up a couple of delrin bushings and re-used the stock Miata metal inserts from the rubber bushings (with the rubber burned off ).

John V is offline   Reply With Quote