Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I agree with JST and rumatt — I guess that’s not surprising since we are all Tesla owners.

Here’s my take.

Most Tesla owners are currently suburbanites that have garages and have put in 240V outlets or wall chargers. That gives them plenty of range for commuting (and just charge nightly). If you own a house, you can find a way to charge at home — which will cover 90%+ of most people’s charging needs. The Supercharger network enables road trips to most places - which is a huge advantage to Tesla since it already covers most of the populated parts of North America, Europe and China (with pockets in ANZ, Japan and a few other places,

Apartment and condo dwellers may have a harder time charging at home — and that is a big problem to solve. Tesla has added “urban” Supercharges to try to help, and workplace charging may work for some. But overall, this will need solving.

In my case, I have nearly 95k miles on pure EV, including over 20k of road trips, some of which were not to very plug friendly places (take a look on PlugShare around the Navajo reservation in NE AZ — and we went through there twice in the shortest range Tesla made to date (the 60 kW Model S, with a mex range of 208 miles). My Model S was took us as far south as San Diego, as far North as BC and Quebec, as Far East as DC/Maryland, and visited the westernmost point in the continental US in Oregon. The Supercharge network powered most of those miles, but we filled gaps with slower CHAdeMO and L2 chargers, and even RV parks. It was quite a journey...

JST makes a good point that most of the other DC charging networks only offer a single charger at each station. But that’s starting the change. VW’s dieselgate settlement funded the Electrify America network, which is following the Tesla blueprint. We noticed an Electirfy America station under construction a couple miles from our house today — it has 8 charging pedestals and is very similar to a Supercharger site — in a parking lot just off a freeway with a Starbucks and a few restaurants nearby...