View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #513
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Why wouldn't the range be significantly higher if the same powertrain were offered in a car that was much lighter?

I haven't read my weight tables chart in CR since last April's issue, but there are cars at least under 3000 lbs - the nearer to 2300 - 2600 lbs (or so) figure would be some of the new mini cars like the Fiat 500 (base) and Nissan Note.

A car the size of the Tesla could be made much lighter, but it would require more advanced materials and construction techniques - I'd love to see a changeover and commitment like this, but significant partnership between private and public entities would likely be required ... hard to see happening in today's political climate.

.... and then there's the steel industry to contend with.

As an aside, my 2000 E320 weighs in at 3700lbs, which is light for a car of its size (by today's standards) - it turns in decent mileage (I'm averaging high 20's thanks to lots of highway driving).

I understand the Tesla isn't about raw numbers at this point, but I wish there were more of a commitment to lighter weight via different materials, manner of construction etc. - the technology exists.
I'm speculating the range would be similar for the model E because to get the price down it will likely be somewhat from improved battery tech but also using a smaller battery. And they seem to have hit upon a range number that satisfies enough buyers to the point where they can't even keep up with demand. So I see little inventive for them to offer greater range anytime soon.

As far as advanced construction/lighter weight it seems our best hope is now (strangely) bmw who invested in the company in Washington that can mass produce carbon fiber. But I think I remember seeing the weight for the various parts of the tesla and the body shell was like 800 pounds. So even if it was made of carbon fiber it would probably only save a few hundred pounds. Nice but not game changing.

Although I am more impressed with the mass produced carbon fiber than I am with teslas big battery. It is something that can be applied to all cars ICE and EV to improve fuel economy, handling and safety!
robg is offline   Reply With Quote