View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
I really don't know what VW is thinking with the current Jetta... I can kind of understand the shape of the nose/headlights and bringing them back in-line with the Golf. But the bling-bling chrome grille is horrible, and the rest of the design is almost an exact replica of the Toyota Corolla...

The Jetta IV is truly a great exterior design -- it looked like a car that cost 1.5-2 times as much as it really did.

The new one looks cheaper that it really is...

The new Passat is nearly the same design, but has enough differences from standard Toyota styling that it is better looking. But its also a step back from the last version, especially the front.

Speaking of derivative designs, has anybody noticed that the new Buick Lucern looks like an evolution of the old Passat from the rear and rear 3/4 views?

The Lucerne is interesting; I think it's a great illustration of the holistic perception of car design. Beyond the fact that it's got a big badge mounted in the center of the trunk, I can't exactly put my finger on why it looks so much like a VW. But it does, to the point that when I saw one on the road from a distance, I was convinced it was some sort of VW--even though I knew it wasn't, since it didn't look like any specific VW model.

The same is true of the new Jetta--I agree that it looks A LOT like a Corolla. And yet, it doesn't, really, not if you put pics of the two cars side by side. It's something more to do with the general design language than with any specific features.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote