Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 10:00 AM   #5504
robg
Carmudgeon

Dial 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Auto kennel in California, whom is a known dealer of quality preowned Porsches.

“I just want a 6-speed manual 997.2 Carrera S Coupe.

I get this request frequently. Usually, they follow up with, “I’d reaaalllly like a GTS, but don’t want to spend that much.”

I typically answer, “Yeah, you’re not alone.”

“What do you mean?” they ask perplexed as if there’s a warehouse full of them.

The last time we had a 997.2 C2S manual coupe to sell was 6 years, 7 months, and 23 days ago, which was 649 cars ago; but, who’s counting?

There is something magical about these last generation 997.2 Carrera S Coupes with rear-wheel-drive, 3.8L DFI engine, and 6-speed manual transmission.

Unfortunately, production during that period was at a new low (75% less than the previous 4 years) due to the global financial crisis.

Furthermore, the PDK (automatic dual clutch) transmission was new and all the rage. Production numbers estimate that only 20% were ordered with a manual.

Finally, because most new car orders during that time were coming from the dealers versus individual customers, 55% of the cars were specified in white or black with only 13% ordered in silver.

Out of the 2,575 Carrera S Coupes that came to the U.S. between 2009 and 2012, only 75 were silver with a 6-speed manual.

The real question is how long are you willing to wait for yours?

2010 Porsche 997.2 Carrera S Coupe 6-Speed Original Paint Sport Exhaust ~ https://autokennel.com/featured_vehi...xhaust-system/

Love all the details in their listing. Interesting note about the inflation adjusted MSRP “The MSRP was $101,690, which is approximately $142,440 in today’s dollars.”.

I guess a current 992S specced similarly (lightly optioned) would come in around that number.

Also interesting background on how few of these were made and why the color selection is what it is.

I suppose one could buy this car and probably have no depreciation beyond losing the difference between retail and trade in value. With some big maintenance and repairs done recently you could probably run it for a few years for just regular maintenance costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote