View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Great write up Rob, very interesting points for all 3 vehicles. I also agree that I really do not get Porsche making the Taycan (as well as the Panamera) so big on the outside and so small on the inside.

I wish Porsche would come out with a sedan similar to the size of the 3 series on both the inside and outside.
Indeed. I was curious and found this VERY detailed article about the Taycan:
https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-de...gin-1837802533

As best I can tell, the lack of interior and cargo room could, in part, be due to the following reasons:
-The battery management system unit is pretty big and sits roughly where a transmission would normally go. This means that there isn't lots of room in the center console as in most EVs. If I had to guess, they had to put it there since the Taycan has stuff like rear steering and a transmission that most other EVs dont, which meant there wasn't room elsewhere.
-The "foot garages" for the rear seat passengers aren't big enough. Although there's enough knee room, these indentations in the floor are just big enough for your foot meaning that you can't really stretch out and put your legs under the front seat (unless you really jam them in there).
-The wide rear hips give the car additional width but without added usable trunk space or interior room.
-The low roofline along with having a battery in the floor probably meant that the rear seats had to be further forward than they otherwise would be for such a long car. Similarly, the trunk lacks the height that it would in a conventional car.
-The area under the rear trunk floor is jam packed with stuff like the transmission, rear steering unit (or space for it to go), etc which means there's limited underfloor capacity.

My guess is that Porsche took the traditional automotive approach of asembling components from various suppliers and attempting to package them all. To really make it work, I think they'd need to take a more wholistic approach and combine more things together (kind of like what Tesla does). As an example, I read that the Ioniq5 doesn't need a separate box to do DC to DC conversion (for 800 to 400v); they just use the rear motor and inverter to do that (whereas Porsche has a separate box for that). And I'm not sure why their battery management unit is so damn big. Maybe the EV Macan will solve some of this.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote