View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 09:01 AM   #1753
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Thank you Clyde!

Thanks! To date I am alive and kicking. I hope you are doing well.

I acquired the “money pit” last May (BAT car). One owner, all books and records with 60,000 miles. #563 of the 1,265 manuals imported. Mechanically it is now a perfect car. I am waiting until this spring to install the correct factory wheels which are NIB style 37s ~ 18” M Parallels. Edit: Hindsight, but I should have just purchased a E39 M5.

My Topaz Z3 has the beige interior. I originally thought about replacing the top when I acquired it with a OE beige top, but the black top grew on me. I never plan to sell it as it took me 2 or 3 years to locate this one with the options I desired. Plus I enjoy staring at it like a piece of art on occasion.

I still have the ‘17 F15 X5 xDrive35i M Sport that I did Performance Center Delivery on. I had the M Performance software installed in 2019. It provided a subtle performance gain. The exhaust sound definitely improved when in sport mode along with the trans in sport. The warranty expires at the end of May and I am currently on the fence what do. I am considering purchasing the BMW platinum extended warranty or selling it and waiting to order a 2022 LCI X3 M40i next fall. While I love the X5 it is larger than I need.
A perfect fleet (except for the missed M5!)

I really wrestled with buying an X3 to balance out the fun car (my M240i convertible—Estoril, because Topaz was not available ) I think the X3 is the perfect size, if you just need some utility but don’t need to haul around a big family’s worth of things/pets on vacation. (I ended up going the budget route with a Mazda CX-5.)

That said, if you already have the F15 in a late model with a decent engine, I can’t really seen swapping it for the X3. One thing you’ll notice is that the X5 is way more luxurious and tank-like than the X3.

Additionally, I see a lot of build quality complaints for the pandemic-era X models. Since you already have a very decent SUV, I’d sit tight and wait for year two of the LCI.

(BTW, I attended the Knoxville World’s Fair in my youth.)
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote