View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #3354
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Nick is smart.

Also, though, you can't simultaneously wear a polo shirt and drive a Fox Mustang. Divide by zero something something

Those cars are of the age now that he could totally pull off driving one ironically though.
He's smart, but he's not "that" smart. The man (he was still just a boy at the time I was advising him) has spent his driving life driving quality German cars. Some examples less "high quality" than others, but all of that stereotypical German design and engineering that provide a quality platform.

The reason I think he should have add a Fox body at the time was that the experience would have so broadly expanded his horizons into the real range of what's out there. And a V8 Fox body at that because no matter how flexi-flyer the platform it sat in, or how high-RPM wheezy they may be, the mid-late 80s era fuel injected Ford 302 is the perfect counterpoint to every BMW mill ever with infinite low end and totally bulletproof immediate torque and absolutely nothing up high.

As good with cars as Nick is today, had he spent 18-24 months with a 1987 Mustang GT as his main daily driver in the 1998-2205 range, he'd just be that much better today. Unfortunately, he's now too old to benefit.

...on a more serious note...

I think the first E46 M3 I went for a ride in was JST's black one in 2003(?) All I could think then—and every time I've been in an E46 M3 since—is that it was a Fox body Mustang GT all grown up. Like the incorrigible kid in high school that was rarely "in" school after he's cleaned up, has a kid with #2 on the way as now a junior executive in the corporate world that appears headed to bigger and better things. And, in terms of exhaust, has also moved on from listening to The Stones and The Who to the latest autotuned Top40 bullshit.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote