Thread: What now?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #110
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Has anyone actually run one to empty and then filled up?
I'm kinda tempted. You know, for science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm sorry I just saw this thread again since my last post. Also, wicked busy right now, so I only skimmed.

A couple of things:

1) It seems there is more variability in the amount of fuel allowed in than exactly or close to exactly 10 gallons. That opens up possibilities. I'll need to re-read and re-think.

2) I think you touched on it, but the convoluted, long, and narrow fuel tube path combined with potentially poor venting could certainly be causing premature shut-off. Maybe it doesn't burp fuel vapors well enough. The schematic is far from a detailed drawing, so hard to tell.

3) The loose tube is all sorts of F'd up, but unsure that it could be a contributing factor.

4) Don't dismiss the very real possibility of a wrong fuel tank volume compared to the published value.
1) It's really hard to separate the wheat from chaff in the thread (although I might get around to it for giggles), but the impression I get is that there is consistent reporting from people that fill up as my wife does a little bit after the light goes on only being able to put in about 10.0 gallons without making an extra effort.

4)Entirely possible. Just wish I knew what size so I'd know how much gas can go in before overflowing. I'd have to go back and check, but I think the most anyone has been able to put in is 12 gallons, but dunno how empty they thought it was. I know I saw someone say they 11.5. I put in 10.9 before I chickened out about putting in more on top of the 2.5 I thought might already in there.

I'm also thinking about trying to fill it when the valve controlled by the fuel door is closed by opening the door more than 30 minutes before filling and see what happens. May not be a smart move, but I'm curious.

Like I said up the thread somewhere, cars had only been available for a week or two when I bought this one. Supplies are still limited (but growing), so there aren't that many cars in customer hands. The ones that have been purchased are probably getting normal miles put on them with really great mileage, so the average sold car probably doesn't have more than one or two fill ups yet, so most owners haven't had a lot of opportunity to notice an issue, yet. And they're Toyota owners, so, they might not ever notice.

Trying to figure out it if it's worth taking the car in with as much annoyance that would bring my wife. She's the one pissed off about getting gas more often would be my counter, but I don't think that matters.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote