View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #184
clyde
Chief title editor

So, I've decided (at least for now) I am buying a Camaro next.

I don't know how many cylinders it will have.

I want V8 noises, but I may be best off with the turbo four. In a perfect world, a 1SS with 1LE and PDR. The alternative is a no-option base 1LT with the 2.0 turbo and 6MT. In the middle is a 1SS, possibly with the 8-speed slushie (because it's magic), possibly with the magnetic shocks and possibly with Recaros.

1SS 1LE MSRP: $45.7
1SS 8AT MRC: $42.3
1SS MRC only: $40
I4T MSRP: $26.9

Possibly add $400 for one of the fancier colors.

Based on last year, current pricing, etc, my expectation is the 2017 cars will sell for about $8-$10k below MSRP after incentives and haggling.

I've become more serious about autocross again and classing figures into decision making. The turbo four is in one class, the non-1LE/ZL1 car's are in a second class, the V6 1LE is in a third class and the 1LE and ZL1 are in a fourth class.

The non-1LE V8 and turbo four will probably remain competitive in their classes for a couple years. The 1LE cars are probably not competitive where they are, but no one is running them. Until winter, any of them could be moved in any direction without notice. After that, class changes go through a longer process that wouldn't take place at least until the following season. It's possible, but not probable, they could all be classed together next year. Bench racing, extrapolating and such...the turbo four could still be ultra competitive because it's that much lighter. If they all stay where they are, the turbo four and non-1LE V8 are probably classed most competitively. I'm betting the turbo four will be on more stable footing for a couple years, but that could be very wrong. The 1LE cars are probably buried, but since no one is running them,

There is a rule update under consideration concerning dealer installed options that could have an impact on what options and how the cars are classed, but that won't be decided until after I'll have to act.

I don't *want* a turbo four Camaro, but at under $20k... Hard not to think hard about that. And the savings would make me feel considerably less guilty about spending on autocross for a couple years.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote