View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #29
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
We got out to look at some stuff this weekend. I emailed a bunch of dealers for quotes last week and have been flooded with emails. Unless there is some huge last minute silliness from the dealers we emailed, it looks like we're getting another CR-V due to some great deals offered on the remaining 2016s.

2014/5 BMW X1 xDrive28i - We checked out two different first-gen X1s, and I loved them both (compared to the types of cars we're comparing). They remind me more of my E36 than an SUV. Its handling, steering (hydraulic), and performance are way better than the CX-5 and CR-V despite weighing more than both of them. The size would be perfect for our needs today, but we just weren't sure if it would work 2-5+ years down the road. I also have those reliability concerns in the back of my mind that I keep trying to deny. The things she didn't like were the very small back window, the odd gear selector, and the auto start-stop function (it's bad). If the deal doesn't work on the CR-V, we could possibly revisit one of these.

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD- We both really liked this one. We both have friends who own these and have driven them before testing them at the dealer. I love current Mazda interiors because everything is where it should be. However, we couldn't get the driver's seat into a that perfect comfortable position for my wife. It must be something with the steering wheel and seat adjustment positions. Perhaps it was because we drove the X1 first, but we knew we were in an SUV instead of a car. Despite those small gripes, it's a great choice that I will continue to recommend to friends and family. The redesigned 2017 CX-5 is coming out in a few months, but the Mazda dealers did not seem to have much interest in discounting their 2016s. If they were willing to move on the price like Honda has been, we probably would have chosen the CX-5.

2016 Honda CR-V SE/EX AWD - There is nothing special about the CR-V. It is the slightly less sporty yet marginally more boring CX-5. We both knew that going in since my mother and sister also have recent models. It did have a more comfortable driver's seat/position for my wife and has the practicality to which she's accustomed with our old CR-V. It will haul her horse gear and the dog will like it. It has a CVT and the blah steering, but they still seem comfortable. The bottom line came down to the fact that each Honda dealer I emailed offered YUGE discounts on the 2016 CR-Vs which would get us into a new one for far less than a decent used X1 or a slightly used or 2016 CX-5.

It's not a done deal because I'm waiting on a few dealers to get back to me with their final "best offer," but the decision seems to have been made.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote