View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 AM   #1355
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
The only comment I have on Tesla reliability is:

CR's survey indicated some high rates of certain repairs. Drive unit (i.e. "motor") replacements, main charger failures, and sunroof issues.

I have an early Model S (VIN is in the low 11,000s, built May 2013, so is first year of production). I've had all 3 issues. But none of them have stranded me:
  • The drive unit was replaced at 9 months at the advice of the service manager -- it was making a whining noise that he could hear (when driving to check the alignment). The first motor never actually failed, and the replacement has fine and doesn't whine.
  • The main charger died on day 9. I had enough charge to get to Tesla, they gave me a loaner, and had a new charger in later that day.
  • I had an alignment issue with the sunroof where it wouldn't always close. They replace the rails it sits on, and kept it overnight for the sealant to cure

All of those cropped up in the first year. Since then, I haven't had any issues other than one TSB Tesla applied over 15 months ago.

I'm close to 43k miles in less than 2.5 years -- and the warranty will run out at 50k miles. I'm not that worried about running it out of warranty...