View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Someone in FL got a KILLER deal on my uncle's Merc

To refresh (from a previous thread):

I've only driven one Merc in my life. It looked like this (same color too):

It was my uncle's, who was a physician. It was his pride and joy, and he kept that thing so clean you can eat off of it, engine bay included. It never saw a rainy day, and if it did, it was purely unintentional.

My uncle is retired now, but his Merc STILL resides in his garage. And the thing STILL looks like it just drove off the showroom floor !!

Two things I remember about his car. When I shut the door and drove it, I remember how "vault-like" the car was. I REALLY felt safe in it, and I remember my uncle touting its numerous safety features. As a physician, he knew that automobile safety was his first priority, and he felt that the 450 SEL was THE safest car you can buy at the time.

I also remember how stiff the accelerator pedal was. I think that was the only thing I didn't like about it, but man, that car was pretty nice to drive on the highway.

I think he's going to will it away to one of his sons, but I'd sure like to take it off his hands one day....

(Edit: He told me that every time he takes it in for service, a few mechanics would ask him if he would sell it to them)

Update: I had to go to FL because my aunt (his wife) was on her deathbed. I noticed that my uncle didn't have his beloved Merc in his garage anymore, so I asked him whatever happened to it.

Turns out that he sold it to someone NOT related to him. Being a senior and not really knowing how much his PRISTINE Benz (with slightly less than 100k on the odometer) was actually worth, he let it go....

....for $3000.

My jaw dropped. I should've told him I was interested in that car, and would've gladly paid MORE than his asking price.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote