View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #776
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Bren: my point is like when we are justifying minimal savings in order to spend a significant amount of money. "i'd like a $4000 outdoor grill, because we will do takeout less"; "i'd like a $10,000 john deere lawn tractor because it's more fuel efficient than the Husqvarna".

it's logic with roots in syllogism.

you buy a Tesla because it's cool. it has a unique driving experience and it offers something different. for some people, that car will be a 6 series gran coupe. some people it will be a panamera. but for others, it will be a Tesla.

my point is, don't hide because a weak economic argument in order to try to sell the car --it detracts from one's credibility as an intelligent person who can engage in adult point/counterpoint. saving $3000 a year in fuel is not enough to justify $985 to $1385 a month for a car lease payment.

it's cool. stop there. that's enough of a point.
Lemming, the point isn't that a Tesla will save you money versus buying a Volt or even a Mustang. It won't. No amount of gas savings will make up the difference.

The only point is that when you are thinking about how much a Tesla costs, you should keep in mind fuel savings. Depending on how much you drive and what other cars you are considering, that can be meaningful.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote