View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #575
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
You make some good points JST. Especially the point about what migth have happened to a regular car and its driver if it encountered a "large metallic object' in the road. Seems quite possible that anything big enough to pierce the Tesla's reinforced underbody would surely have pierced the floor of a regular car.

It is kind of crazy that there have been 3 of these incidents so close together. That's some really back luck for Tesla. Even in the NYC area I can't remember the last time I saw or hit a metallic object in the road. Car-eating potholes yes, but large road debris no.
I've been driving for 25 years and have never had anything remotely similar happen, so it's really hard for me to judge. This commenter on Jalopnik had something like it occur in a regular car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowens

I had an identical thing happen to me about 15 years ago while driving with my mom in her 1992 Mazda 929 (Nice cars BTW, whatever happened to them?)

It was a significant enough impact that both me and my mom hit our heads on the roof, the engine stopped, and every warning light on the dash lit up simultaneously. The hitch punctured both the crankcase and the transmission and the car left a foot wide trail of oil and ATF that led from the point of impact to where the tow truck would later pick us up.

There was no fire, but car was totaled event though the body was still pristine. It would've been an ideal LS1 swap candidate if LS1 swaps were a thing back then.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote