View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #550
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I understand what all you guys are saying, but it still strikes me as like someone saying they don't want to buy a Model T because a horse can forage wherever you go and doesn't need gas.
So who's going to set up horsemudgeons.com?

Lou -
You bring up a fair point about destination charging. But don't you have an RV? Tesla comes standard with a NEMA 14-50 adapter -- the same used at RV parks for "50 Amp" service -- which will charge at 25-30 miles of range per hour (vs 15-20 for most of the public chargers out there). Basically, charging infrastructure is already avail pretty much everywhere -- here's a link to Allstays showing all RV parks in NV with 50 Amp service: http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/...0amps.htm#Mapp

I also suggest reading the blog post below -- This is a Tesla owner who took an 1800 mile road trip to some very remote areas in BC and WA in June. He even charged at 120V for a few days of the trip (where he was at a remote lodge in BC).

As for charging speed, that basically becomes irrelevant since the car charges while you sleep. My car takes 6 hours to charge from empty to full (which I've never done -- nearly all my charges are 2-3 hours each night).

Charging speed does matter if you are on a road trip beyond the car's range. That's where Tesla's Supercharger strategy is the game changer. As I posted earlier, we'll be able to do a road trip to Disneyland in the Tesla that will only add a whopping 30 minutes extra time to the drive. We'll still have to charge once we get there -- but we'll just stay at a hotel with charging capability and let it charge while we sleep...

I'll keep you guys posted on my trip to Tucson -- we're leaving in about 3-4 hours... But I suspect it will be a pretty boring post since I won't be waiting anywhere for the car to charge. It'll just charge while we sleep at the hotel or watch the football game...