View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
If it's a puncture on the sidewall, a plug isn't possible.

You could try to fleabay a used tire. That would save you a lot of money and would minimize the difference in tread between the two sides of the car. Downside, of course, is that the car is out of commission for longer and fleabay used tires are very much caveat emptor--I had a friend who tried to go this route and ended up with a couple of tires that were bubbled or otherwise junk.

At the end of the day, there's the right way (which is also the easy way) and there's the cheap way (which is probably a bigger pain in the ass). I would probably just buy two new tires, call it an investment in my karma/cost of doing business/thing that inconveniences me least, and be done with it.

You don't have to do it from the dealer. You could go with tirerack, but I found a local place that sells basically at tirerack's cost with a small markup for installation, and it's worth it to not have to screw around with making two phone calls (plus, let them have their margin).
Nah, I don't think I'm willing to buy a used tire from a stranger. You are right. I should call around locally for pricing.

But will the dealer force me to buy two tires? If I'm not required, I won't. I mean, the other tire is good by their own standards, and not really all that marginally.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote