View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My favorite feature of the Passport, is locking out false signals via GPS. This makes it really useful for my daily commute on the PA turnpike, where there normally would be 8 or 9 false alarms. Now that they are locked out pretty much every time the detector goes off it is either a cop or a new mobile speed sign. It's saved my bacon more than a few times.
The auto lockout can be a little flakey. It's stored a couple speed cameras as falses. I get the "speed camera ahead" voice alert, but it won't sound the tone...just spin the gps icon to tell you it's rejecting it. It's only done it to some of them, not all. I'm not sure where I stand on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
We used Waze on a trip to the beach earlier this month. Over the course of ~320 miles there and back it showed a non-existent speed trap and had no mention of the sobriety checkpoint that caused a huge traffic jam which were stuck in for 30 minutes.
It's worth checking out the police reports to see when they were added. If it's more than 10 minutes ago, there's a decent chance it won't be active when you get there.

The traffic reporting is sometimes iffy, but in general seems much better than most of the other services. It updates based on speeds users are driving and reports users are making. Both on the trip and in daily traffic, it's missed some things, but gotten quite a few right...and when it gets it right, it's often with more detail about why (which somehow helps).

Both ways, it's mostly at the mercy of its users and their reports. Integrating with Google's traffic data in the future could be a really good thing (minus the inherent evilness of google).

It was also kind of cool to send my brother and parents a link where they could watch our progress and such. Easier for them than using FMF and easier for me not having them call/text asking where we were.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote