View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #160
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
At the D11 conference Musk "confirmed" the (20%) smaller model should be around $35k after gov't subsidies and it's about 3 years out.
Tesla, like BMW, puts a lot of stuff into spendy option packages that most people are going to want, like a "tech package" for nearly 4 grand, 3700 fancy wheels, a $200 package shelf, etc. So that 35K number is probably optimistic.

And clyde's right about the credit, which may well go down quite a bit. OTOH, it's not clear to me that a reduction in the credit would be paid entirely by the consumer. Tesla quotes most of its prices including the credit, so if the credit went away they'd have to "raise" their consumer-facing prices, which they may not want to do.

The gas savings for me aren't terribly substantial, either. Clyde makes a great point about the Fit EV (and other, similar products), but it just highlights the reality--I want a Tesla because it is a kick in the ass to drive and it's fucking cool. It's the same reason I wanted an M3. The fact that it's electric is a nice bonus, but at the end of the day, I don't really want an electric car. I want a Tesla.

Which really should be their new ad slogan.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote