View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
GregE_325
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn / 2011 BMW 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Better than the ~14 mpg I see in my TJ.

Also . . . manual? Must not be a trail Jeep?

hahaha!!! Well, you got me. It does spend most of its time on the paved roads. But I will admit that it does spend some time off-road. My house in on 5 acres with 200 acres of wooded trails surrounding it. I do ride through those trails on occasion.

I also sometimes go out driving with my wife's cousin, whose family owns quite a bit of land nearby. He has an older Jeep with a lift kit, and I've been out with him in my shiny new one. He's taken me in all sorts of trails, rivers, mud bogs, and rocky hills. Other than a few very large rocks that require the clearance he has in his Jeep, my Wrangler was able to handle everything thrown at it. I do understand your point about the transmission. I can smell the clutch melting on some of those trips. An automatic would be a more practical choice, but I've always preferred shifting my own gears since I started driving.

It really is amazing how capable a stock Jeep is. I've been very surprised and the things that I've been able to driver over/through/around. I don't have lots of off-road experience, but the Jeep makes it easier than it probably should be.

-- Greg
GregE_325 is offline   Reply With Quote